Susannah Wesley is an example of an incredible mother. She spent one hour each day praying for her 17 children. In addition she took each child aside for a full hour every week to discuss spiritual matters with him or her. It's no wonder that Charles and John were used of God to bring blessings to all of England and much of America. Here are a few rules she followed:
1) Subdue self-will in a child and thus work together with God to save his soul.
2) Teach him to pray as soon as he can speak.
3) Give him nothing he cries for and only what is good for him if he asks politely.
4) To prevent lying, punish no fault which is freely confessed, but never allow a rebellious sinful
act to go unnoticed.
5) Commend and reward good behavior.
6) Strictly observe all promises you have made to your child.
The mother who loves her work in the home and joyfully trains up her children in the fear of the Lord is to be greatly honored. Hers is a position of trust that cannot be over estimated. A woman with a strong and abiding faith in God exerts a beautiful influence on the lives she touches. "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Prov. 31:28
Henry Wadsworth Long fellow reminds us. ..Even He that died for us upon the cross, in the last hour, in the unutterable agony of death, was mindful of His mother, as if to teach us that this holy love should be our last worldly thought -the last point of Earth from which the soul should take its flight for heaven.
God bless you moms. Happy Mother's Day!